Timbaland Speaks on Jay-z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail for the First Time
Jay Z’s 6 hour performance of “Picasso Baby” at Pace Gallery in New York City served as the video shoot for the song’s music video as well. While we wait for the professional footage to be edited and released, here are two additional clips with higher quality than the initial footage posted. As answered during his Twitter Q&A, this is the first of “6 art pieces” for Jay’s latest album Magna Carta… Holy Grail, which is available now.
The goal of our “The Samples” series is to educate. I want people to be able to connect with music on a personal level. In order to achieve that, we must familiarize ourselves on the art and process behind the music and how it is manifested.
Gianni Lee of Babylon Cartel and Mike Blud return with another exploration of soundscape — Magna Carta…Holy Grail – The Samples. The eclectic list indicates the extensive music research by Jay-Z and the contributing producers for Hov’s latest release as the sample list includes tunes by Sizzla, Johnny Guitar Watson, Adrian Younge, Nirvana, Mase, R.E.M., Gonjasufi and many more. In addition, the duo has prepped another mix that features the original samples of Jay’s hit songs — ranging from today to all the way back to Reasonable Doubt.
Magna Carta…Holy Grail – The Samples
1. Holy Grail Commercial Intro
2. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit (Holy Grail)
3. Adrian Younge – Sirens (Picasso BabY)
4. Johnny Guitar Watson – Gangster Of Love (Somewhereinamerica)
5. Sizzla – Solid As A Rock (Crown)
6. R.E.M. – Losing My Religion (Heaven)
7. Adrian Younge – Reverie (Heaven)
8. A Tribe Called Quest – Sucka Nigga (Versus)
9. One Way – Believe In Me (Part II On The Run)
10. Mase – Feel So Good (BBC)
11. The Notorious B.I.G. – My Downfall (Jay Z Blue)
12. Gonjasufi – Nikels and Dimes (Nickels and Dime)
13. M.I.A. – Bad Girls (Tom Ford)
14. Holy Grail Commercial Outro
The Essential Jay-Z – The Samples
2. Luther Vandross – Take You Out (Excuse Me Miss)
3. Lyn Collins – Think (About It) (Otis)
4. Marcus Miller – Much Too Much (Can’t Knock The Hustle)
5. Meli’sa Morgan – Fool’s Paradise (Can’t Knock The Hustle)
6. Menahan Street Band – Make The Road By Walking (Roc Boys)
7. Rene & Angela – I’ll Be Good (I’ll Be)
8. Rene & Angela – Imaginary Playmates (Imaginary Players)
9. Rick James – Give It To Me Baby (Give It 2 Me)
10. Rick James – Super Freak (Kingdom Come)
11. Steve Arrington’s Hall Of Fame – Weak At The Knees (Money Ain’t A Thing)
12. The Jones Girls – You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else (The City Is Mine)
13. The Friends Of Distinction – And I Love Him (Maybach Music)
14. Stanley Clarke – Got To Find My Own Place (Lyrical Exercise)
Jay’s verse on Young Jeezy’s “Go Crazy” remix, let it be known that his “favorite hue is Jay-Z Blue.” Now with a daughter by the name of Blu Ivy, Samsung and Hov get creative with the word play and share their latest commercial, “Jay-Z Blue.” We see the hip-hop mogul get personal and discusses fatherhood while Rick Rubin kicks back on the couch and shows approval. Also down below you can view the recently revealed lyrics to “BBC,” which includes features from Nas, Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Swizz Beatz, Pharrell, and Timbaland. Enjoy both the commercial and lyric sheet, and be sure to grab the “Magna Carta” app on Google Play, if you already haven’t. Magna Carta Holy Grail is set to drop July 7, and one million users with the app will receive it 72 hours early on July 4.
- Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail Tracklist + Artwork (deadendhiphop.com)
- Jay-z Shares Lyrics to “Bbc,” Features Beyoncé, Swizz Beatz, Pharrell, Justin Timberlake, Nas, Timbaland (keyplayers.wordpress.com)
- Rick Rubin Was Not Involved in the Making of Jay-Z’s “Magna Carta Holy Grail” (complex.com)
- Jay-Z Unveils Lyrics To “BBC” Featuring Nas, Bey, Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, & Pharrell (waitwaitwhut.com)
- Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail Album Tracklist Revealed (jazzient.wordpress.com)
Pushing towards his impending album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, Hov gives fans yet another behind-the-scenes look into the creative process. In this clip, Jay-Z explains to Rick Rubin the idea behind his song “Heaven.” Thanks to the album’s tracklist, which was released a few days back, we know this will be the second song on MCHG. Listen as Jay dives into what he feel like represents Heaven and Hell and be sure to grab the album when it releases July 4.
Visit http://smsng.us/MCHG to download the app on your Galaxy S 4, Note II or S III, and you’ll be able to watch more behind-the-scenes looks at JAY Z’s new album “Magna Carta Holy Grail,” unlock the song lyrics, and download the music 72 hours early on July 4th.
He released the previously announced Magna Carta Holy Grail app for download on the Google Play store, which is only downoadable for Samsung users and previews album content. Thus, he lyrics for the Justin Timberlake-assisted title track “Holy Grail” have emerged as displayed below. The song will be released tomorrow, June 25, while the longplayer will be available on July 4 via Samsung devices and three days later for the rest of the world.
Upon viewing the NBA Finals last night, a recently-debuted commercial advertising Jay-Z‘s newest partnership with Samsung was hard to ignore. The move came as a surprise to many, though perhaps this kind of reaction is unwarranted. After all, this is the same man who in 2013 alone has begun his own sports management company, got the White House to respond to one of his songs, and, most recently, set himself up to make $25 million. The true definition of a mogul, it only makes sense that Jay-Z would grace the cover of Billboard this week, featuring the rapper’s infamous #newrules tweet alongside a fitting blueprint-themed design. Here, Jay-Z plots out exactly how he’s changing the music business through his new deal with Samsung.
Look for the latest issue of Billboard at your local newsstand, or read the cover story on Billboard’s site here.